See Over 40 Historic Sites: 16-20
Discover the 325-year old City of Burlington. Try it for your next family vacation day trip, or bring your seniors group. Come and see...
Home of NJ Revolutionary, opponent of Royal Governor William Franklin.
Family home of Bishop and bell-ringers.
The oldest Episcopal Church in New Jersey, oldest church in County.
New Church by Richard Upjohn in soaring gothic revival.
A trusty old community hall.
Scroll down to see sites 16 through 20. Click See Sites x-y numbers to navigate our list of 44 sites five at a time. Or, click <here> to see the entire list in text form.
38 W. Broad Street
James Kinsey was a member of the Society of Friends, and a skillful lawyer who practiced in the Burlington area. He was elected to the New Jersey General Assembly in 1772, and opposed Royal Governor Franklin. As a Quaker, he refused to swear an oath of allegiance and resigned his appointment to the Continental Congress. In 1774, Kinsey started the Burlington Committee of Correspondence, the purpose of which was to foment feelings against the rule of George III.
100-102 W. Broad Street
This house was built in 1813 by Joseph McIlvaine. In 1820 his son, Charles, became the Episcopal Bishop of Ohio. Earlier, when 17 years of age, Charles founded the first United Sunday School in New Jersey. In 1864, Mary and Margaret McIlvaine donated the bells to St. Marys Episcopal Church.
(Old) St. Marys Episcopal Church
NW corner of Wood & Broad Streets
The oldest Episcopal Church in New Jersey is Old St. Marys. The founding was accomplished by Rev. George Keith and Rev. John Talbot, with the aid of the board of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. The architecture and landscaping of St. Marys Church displays the sensitive work of the early adherents to the Church of England in Burlington. A silver communion service was a gift from Queen Anne, before 1713.
During the American Revolution, this church served as the focal point of the activities of the American Loyalists. Reverend Jonathan ODell, of St. Marys, worked diligently from the pulpit to convince people that King George III was the rightful ruler of America, until his own expulsion.
Bishop Doane helped found Columbia University, as well as the local St. Marys Hall School once known as Doane Academy.
New St. Marys Church
W. Broad Street
New St. Marys was designed by Richard Upjohn, a noted American architect, at the direction of Bishop Doane. It is the earliest and one of the foremost examples of the Gothic revival style in this country.
The hand-rung carillion bells enliven the sonic landscape of many a Sunday morn in town.
St. Marys churchyard is the resting place of prominent citizens including NJ Governor Joseph Bloomfield,
President of the Continental Congress Elias Boudinot,
Representative John Howard Pugh,
Senator James Kinsey,
Senator Garret Dorset Wall,
Mayor James Walter Wall, and
Joshua M. Wallace, a delegate to the New Jersey Convention that ratified the U.S. Constitution in 1787.
St. Marys Guild Hall
NE Corner of W. Broad & Talbot Streets
For over 200 years, the scene of many a humane and community-minded undertaking, from acting as a hospital, a soup kitchen, to meeting hall, and more.
Tours vary from 1 1/2 to 3 hours (2 to 3 miles), depending on pace and route. Tours may be modified. Special Interest Tours are listed in Ready, Set, Tour. Some sites have stairs. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
Print our Map to Historic Sites to locate Sites by number. Call 609-386-0200 or 386-4773 to arrange a group tour guide, or request a free Tour Guide & Map Brochure showing all 44 sites with map.
City of Burlington
Official Online Resource